Monday, June 8, 2009

Our Trip to Iowa (Days 1-4)

We just got back from an incredible family vacation to Iowa to visit Tim's parents. We drove 2 days of 10 hours each and actually really enjoyed the journey. We took so many pictures and did a lot of fun things, so I think I will post everything according to the day. This will be a long post so I understand if you just skip it altogether. :)

DAY 1


Ethan and Eli sure loved their little hand held fans during the LONG car drive. We had a little bag full of surprises that they would receive every few hours (or as needed)!!! The little fans were their favortie surprise.

A cute picture of Ethan eating one of our many car meals!!


We finally arrived at our hotel in North Platte, Nebraska. I never thought I would be so happy to arrive in Nebraska!! We played in the pool, ate chocolate chip cookies and fell asleep in the big hotel beds. I asked Ethan that night what his favorite thing about the trip was that day, he said in his usual, wild enthusiasm "EVERYTHING!!!" It was a fun day!!


DAY 2

We stopped in Des Moines, Iowa to visit Tim's brother James. It was a nice visit, but too short!


We stopped again in Ames, Iowa to visit James' family. We had a great time visiting with Brittany and her kids. The cousins loved playing together - again it was too short of a visit.

We finally made it to Davenport, Iowa where Tim's folks live.
It was nice to finally arrive at our destination!

DAY 3
We all went on a great bike ride. We rented bikes from the military base where Tim's dad works. We even rented two bike carts that the kids could ride in. I think biking is now my new favorite kind of exercise.

Kathy and I very neatly tucked our pant legs into our socks to avoid them getting caught in the bike chains. I know - we are lookin' HOT!
The boys, however, decided to roll up their pants to their knees - ooooh lookin' good!

We rode along the Mississippi River. The kids even got to touch their first fish.

It was a beautiful day.


That night, we all went bowling. Kathy even bowled her best game ever!! Eli was pretty grumpy, I think all of the driving finally caught up to him!



DAY 4

We started the day off with Grandpa taking Ethan for a ride on his scooter. I was a little nervous, but Ethan held on tight and they just went around the block. Ethan had a great time!!!

Later that day, we all went to the children's museum. We even got in free with our Utah children's museum pass - yeah! We had a fun time with all of the different exhibits and toys.


Eli's "excited beyond containment" face!!!

Ethan playing dress up in the costumes


Grandma and Grandpa playing checkers and Ethan happily watching
Tim and I "pretending" to play checkers!

Eating yummy corn on the cob for dinner. We all love corn on the cob - especially Ethan and Eli as it turned out!


That night, we all played shuleback. It is a game David and Kathy brought back from Europe. The kids had a great time and Ethan actually played really well.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great trip! I am so glad you were safe!!
    I can not wait for our Lagoon Trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow,what a great trip! the road trips can be fun with kids, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I'm totally impressed you (and your kids) survived the journey. :) It must have been great to see family and have time together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you guys had a great time! I am also way impressed that you survived on such a long road trip! You'll have to give me pointers if we ever brave another long one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you guys enjoyed the Family Museum! We loved it when we lived there. So great to see you- we'll drive out to Utah next time! :)

    ReplyDelete