Friday, May 15, 2009

Love and Logic

Well, Tim and I just completed a 7 week parenting course called "Love and Logic." I found it through the community education classes and thought it might be a neat class to take together - I am always up for new parenting tips and ideas. Our last class was last night and while I am glad to have one less thing to do during the week, I am kind of sad to see it go. We really enjoyed the insights and new ideas that we learned. It has been really fun to watch Ethan use the parenting tricks on me after I have used them on him once. He is too smart for his own good. One of the tips is to use the "energy drain." It works for anything and everything from tantrums to fighting to not listening. It goes like this:

mom - "it really drains my energy when...... you don't listen to me at the store. I just can't do anything until my energy is replaced." (then you think of a few things they can do to replace your energy - anything from chores, to singing songs, to rubbing your feet, to being nice to their brother, etc.)

So, I did this once to Ethan when he didn't listen to me at the store. A week after that Ethan did the energy drain to me. We were about to go into a store and I asked him not to ask for treats and candy and to be a good listener. This is what he said next:

Ethan - "Mom, it really drains my energy when you get mad at me. I think you need to do 4 things to give me my energy back."

I tried so hard not to laugh. Was he really doing this?! I had only done it one other time and he was modeling my behavior already - man kids learn fast. I figured I should respect him like I would want him to respect me, so I told him that maybe we could help each other get our energy back. I wouldn't get mad at him and then he would be a good listener so we could both keep our energy. He agreed, but said he still needed to have me do 4 things to help him get his energy back right now.

Ethan - "I need 4 things: 1. Sing me a song 2. Say nice words to me 3. Give me a cheese cracker 4. Give me some milk"

So, I did his four things and then asked him what he could do for me to give me my energy back.

Ethan - "I will do 4 things for you Mommy. 1. Sing you a song 2. Keep my seat belt on 3. Be a good listener in the store 4. Give you magic kisses and hugs"

After we each helped each other out, we acted all excited and energetic to show all the energy had come back - it was fun to be silly together. Then we went into the store and the first thing Ethan did was pick up some candy and said:

Ethan - "Mom, look at this candy. I am not even gonna ask for it or eat it!!!"

I was so impressed with my little 3 year old!! Thank you "Love and Logic" for giving us some fun tools to help teach our kids. I highly recommend this class to everyone!!!!

5 comments:

  1. That is so dang funny! What a smart boy you have. I really like that idea, though. I'm going to try it out, and see how long it takes Olivia to use it on me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a smart boy!! My neighbors actually just finished that class too. They really liked it and recommended it also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness! that made me laugh so much. this is totally something my kids would do. it sounds like it worked out great! what a good mom you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really is so funny! Kids are so much smarter than we think! Next time that class starts I am with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bethany I just don't know how you do it. If I tried that on my kids they would see right through me and they wouldn't take it serious at all. I don't think I'd be able to keep a straight face. hahaha I'm havin' a good time learning from you and hearing about your experiences. I just love ya and think you are such a good mom.

    ReplyDelete